The Crafty Nomad Has Moved

The Crafty Nomad Has Moved
Click here to go to my Fabulous New Blog!

Sunday, January 5, 2014

So, What of the Blue Fabric?

Remember I said yesterday that I siphoned off the blue fabric, from the charm packs for the charmalade quilt, to be used on another project?  


Well I knew someone who would love that blue fabric and that someone had a birthday right before Christmas.  A little birdie had told me that she loved the little birdie (!) mini quilt I made my sister last year, so I decided to make her one. 


There was just enough of the dark blue fabric to make some binding.  The fussiest binding I have ever made! Lots of 5 inch strips!


I just cut the charm squares into four squares each and positioned them around the white block, keeping some for the back.


Then got to work on the picture. Cut some leaves, flags and two little birdies out of the scraps, adding in a few pink leaves from the binding from the Charmalade quilt to make it pop a bit from all that blue!


I just machine embroider roughly the tree, and again machine applique the pieces on, sometimes using a contrasting thread and sometimes using a matching one depending on the look I'm going for.


Then for the back I pieced a strip of squares to go across the middle sandwiched between some white pieces.  I quilted the front and back separately and then popped them together with the binding.  That way I could quilt all over the back without ruining the picture on the front.  I added a bit of thermal batting so it could be used as a pot holder if so desired.

As always I must direct you to the inspiration behind all the birdie minis I have made and that would be from Erin at Why Not Sew? Quilts.

Sharing at:


Fresh Poppy Design

1 comment:

It makes my day to hear your comments, thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message! Jo :o)